We picked up Gable 2 weeks ago on April 13th. He was still really little – only 7 weeks old and 10lbs. He rode on my lap, alternating between sleeping and licking me, all the way home from the breeder. After introducing him to ourselves, our house and backyard, he crashed from all the new things and we were able to get this pic. Seriously, he couldn’t be any more adorable!
The last two weeks have gone by SO fast. And it’s interesting how much can change with the entrance of a puppy. The day we went to pick up Gabe I posted on facebook how I would no longer only be responsible for myself. My sister has been teasing me about saying that but in all actuality our lives and schedules have changed a lot since taking on this new responsibility. Neither Matt nor I have ever had a pet and while you can hear stories from friends and read about it in books or on the web, you aren’t really prepared for what it’s like to have a dog.
We knew that he’d whine/cry/bark in the crate training process, but actually hearing him sound so sad in his kennel and knowing that I can’t let him out until he quiets down breaks my heart. And we weren’t quite ready for the lack of sleep that was headed our way. Because Gabe’s bladder is still so small, we Matt is still taking him out during the night and then I’ll take him out around 6:30am. This is a completely different sleep schedule for Matt and I am realizing how much I used to rely on the weekends to catch up on sleep.
So while books and friends didn’t really prepare us for some of the changes we’ve experienced since bringing Gable home, books and friends didn’t really prepare us for how quickly we’d fall in love with Gabe and how much fun it would be to have a puppy. Everytime Gabe crawls onto my lap to cuddle my heart melts. And when Gabe “retrieved” his first tennis ball for me, I was way more proud then I ever thought I would be for something that seems so silly.
It’s been hard to find time to post but there are so many funny stories and cute pictures/videos of Gabe that I want to get on here. Plus there’s other fun things going on in our lives too. But to make up for my absence the last couple of weeks, here are some more pics of the cutest puppy in the world!
He is too cute! Can't wait to meet him!
ReplyDelete