Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Our First Christmas Letter

I've been struggling with how to get back to this blog when there's so much to catch up on so I'll start with posting our Christmas letter. While I figured out our picture and addressed envelopes, Matt wrote our letter. I have to admit, I'm super proud of us. I think Matt did a wonderful job and I'm impressed that we got them sent out BEFORE Christmas.

Dearest Friends and Family –
As can be expected, Christine has been a little busy with all of the holiday preparations, graduation, landing a job, buying presents, cleaning the house, and overall making sure I stay in-line. So, I’ve taken this opportunity to step up to the plate and take a swing at this whole “spreading holiday cheer” thing. I assume you may want to hear about what we’ve done this year, but being a little “outside the box,” I’ll tell you first where we’re heading.

Christine landed a new job with Compressor Controls Corporation out of Urbandale, IA. She is excited (I think….or at least she should be) to start on January 10th, 2011. This is the same company she interned with this summer, where she is taking a job as a “Human Resources Training Generalist.” It’s a new position in the company, so we’re lucky they have nothing to compare her performance to…. (Ouch….I just got punched in the shoulder). Over Thanksgiving, Christine visited her little sister Jackie in Chile, where she had quite the experience soaking in the culture, seeing the sights and having fun.

Christine also just graduated (December 17th) from “that other school” in Ames with her Masters of Business Administration. She made lots of friends and had a great time. I will have to admit I did have a good time at the one and only ISU football game she dragged me to, but that was only because there was free food and I was decked-out in black and gold.

I look forward to burning all of the Cyclone paraphernalia she collected during her tenure there- luckily there’s an awesome fireplace in our basement that’s hungry for fuel.

Which brings me to the biggest change for us this past year….our new house! We moved in to our new place in Huxley, IA on May 15th. I was rudely awakened to the fact that the grass does not mow itself. I was even more astonished that the flowers were not self-watering. On a brighter note, we did find out that lots of great food arrives at your front door when you move into a new neighborhood. All-in-all it’s been great to have a place of our own, and we’re looking forward to making a few improvements and changes around the villa in the coming year.

Now, I know you’ve all been wondering….just what the heck has Matt been up to??? Luckily, I’ve prepared a little something:

I still work for the Dept. of Natural Resources as a Conservation Officer, but transferred to the Boone & Story county territory. A normal “day in the life” consists of waking up when I want to and chasing bad guys. It’s been a change- trying to learn the intricacies of the new area and meet the new people, but it has been worth it to get a little closer to family and friends. I also accepted the responsibility of becoming a Field Training Officer for our bureau. I don’t feel any smarter, but I guess they think I’m a good candidate to “mold the minds of the future generation of game wardens” and generally show them the ways of the world.

Overall, we were very blessed in 2010. We’ve been able to spend lots of time with friends and family. Plus, there’s been lots of fun weddings…allowing me to hone my impressive dance skills. We look forward to having a wonderful 2011, and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Love, Matt (& Christine)

No comments:

Post a Comment