Last week was ridiculous... even more ridiculous than the same week in past years. (I think it's because it's been the first time that my family has all been in town for bday week since I was in high school?!?!) So here's a recap on birthday week 2011. Warning: No pictures. I was having too much fun to document it :)
On Monday, August 8th, Matt and I headed to Ankeny for dinner with the Brubakers (check out their fun family blog here) and the Marsdens. Unfortunately, Clint actually wasn't able to come because Norm (their puppy) wasn't handling the noodles he found at the dog park the previous day. (Luckily Gable was fine even though he tried the noodles too.Unfortunately he's already been introduced to a variety of people food.) It was a fun night filled with great conversations and lots of laughs! We probably stayed out too late though... especially given our busy week ahead.
On Tuesday, August 9th, I turned 27. It's kinda weird to say that... 27. It sounds older than I feel. After work, Matt and I decided to celebrate by a visit to Adventureland. It had been a couple years since we'd been there and our trip to Okoboji reminded us of our love of rollercoasters, so why not?!?! It was a really fun date night. Kinda took me back.... back when we had just started dating we went there with some of our church youth group friends. We did really well with our selection of rides until our second to last one of the night. It was a little too "spin-ny" so it's good the park closed shortly after we got off.
On Wednesday, August 10th, we went out to dinner at Mama Lacona's for my dad's birthday (well, they brought out free birthday dessert for mom and I too). Grandma, Jackie, Becky and Matt were all in attendance too. We followed up the delicious Italian food with presents at mom and dad's house. Jackie got to open presents too so it felt very reminiscent of Christmas. I got some really cool gifts which I'll eventually get around to posting about.
On Thursday, August 11th, we celebrated Mom's birthday by seeing a show at the Funny Bone Comedy Club. The comedian, Willie Farrell, is actually a local Des Moines-ian and was hilarious. There were a couple times I was laughing so hard I was crying. He plays off the audience for most of his show and we were sitting close enough that he started talking to my dad which was cool. One of the funniest parts was when a man sitting in the back hollered out to Willie because he wanted to talk about his work... which was selling mouse traps. lol. But what made it worse was that he was just so incredibly drunk and kept trying to say more and more; he didn't get it when Willie tried to segue-way into a different joke. Eventually this man got to spell out the website address of where people could go if they wanted hand-made mouse traps... not even a second after the man finished yelling out the web address, another patron added " slash redneck". The crowd went wild. It was so hilarious. Even Willie cracked up and couldn't add anything funnier to the joke.
On Friday, August 12th, Matt and I headed over to Amy (Matt's half-sister) and her husband, Geno's, home. Geno's 50th bday was on Saturday and they decided to have a happy hour at their place. It was nice to be able to help them celebrate. Tricia (Matt's other half-sister) and her husband, Robert, were there too and only live a block away. They have a 9 year old vizsla, Ruby, so a meeting between the two vizslas also occurred that night. Pics of that to come.
So that's birthday week 2011. It was amazing and jam-packed. I was exhausted by the time we finally hit the weekend but it was so worth it!
On Monday, August 8th, Matt and I headed to Ankeny for dinner with the Brubakers (check out their fun family blog here) and the Marsdens. Unfortunately, Clint actually wasn't able to come because Norm (their puppy) wasn't handling the noodles he found at the dog park the previous day. (Luckily Gable was fine even though he tried the noodles too.
On Tuesday, August 9th, I turned 27. It's kinda weird to say that... 27. It sounds older than I feel. After work, Matt and I decided to celebrate by a visit to Adventureland. It had been a couple years since we'd been there and our trip to Okoboji reminded us of our love of rollercoasters, so why not?!?! It was a really fun date night. Kinda took me back.... back when we had just started dating we went there with some of our church youth group friends. We did really well with our selection of rides until our second to last one of the night. It was a little too "spin-ny" so it's good the park closed shortly after we got off.
On Wednesday, August 10th, we went out to dinner at Mama Lacona's for my dad's birthday (well, they brought out free birthday dessert for mom and I too). Grandma, Jackie, Becky and Matt were all in attendance too. We followed up the delicious Italian food with presents at mom and dad's house. Jackie got to open presents too so it felt very reminiscent of Christmas. I got some really cool gifts which I'll eventually get around to posting about.
On Thursday, August 11th, we celebrated Mom's birthday by seeing a show at the Funny Bone Comedy Club. The comedian, Willie Farrell, is actually a local Des Moines-ian and was hilarious. There were a couple times I was laughing so hard I was crying. He plays off the audience for most of his show and we were sitting close enough that he started talking to my dad which was cool. One of the funniest parts was when a man sitting in the back hollered out to Willie because he wanted to talk about his work... which was selling mouse traps. lol. But what made it worse was that he was just so incredibly drunk and kept trying to say more and more; he didn't get it when Willie tried to segue-way into a different joke. Eventually this man got to spell out the website address of where people could go if they wanted hand-made mouse traps... not even a second after the man finished yelling out the web address, another patron added " slash redneck". The crowd went wild. It was so hilarious. Even Willie cracked up and couldn't add anything funnier to the joke.
On Friday, August 12th, Matt and I headed over to Amy (Matt's half-sister) and her husband, Geno's, home. Geno's 50th bday was on Saturday and they decided to have a happy hour at their place. It was nice to be able to help them celebrate. Tricia (Matt's other half-sister) and her husband, Robert, were there too and only live a block away. They have a 9 year old vizsla, Ruby, so a meeting between the two vizslas also occurred that night. Pics of that to come.
So that's birthday week 2011. It was amazing and jam-packed. I was exhausted by the time we finally hit the weekend but it was so worth it!
No comments:
Post a Comment