Saturday, July 9, 2011

pillow madness

Because we have fabulous new furniture upstairs, we don't hang out downstairs much. (Plus the nicer tv is upstairs too.) So I hadn't really noticed how terrible the pillows looked until I took the after pics for my post on the basement update

See how grungy they look?!? I don't think they looked quite as disgusting when the sofa and pillows were upstairs with a light taupe color on the walls. So I'm going to partly blame it on the new crisp white and grey walls which make the light sea green pillows look bad. 

I bought the sofa and loveseat from a friend of a friend when I graduated from college back in 2006. The family rarely used the furniture so it was in decent condition when I got it. But now we've been using it all the time and it's looking kinda worn down. I bought the pillows when I got the furniture because the pillows that came with it really made it look dated. The other pillow you can kinda see on the right matches the recliner - a hand-me-down from Matt's parents, I believe, so it's got a few more years even than the other pillows. Definitely time to replace those pillows... but what to replace them with?

Pam at BeColorful recently posted this pic when she featured skipper blue as the color of the week. It kinda reminds me of a (much) classier (and more expensive) version of our basement. I think it works because the pillows look good with the sofa AND the pillows tie back into the wall and curtain colors. Our sofa isn't as blue (it's got an 80's green and blue chevron pattern on it) but this pic is waaaay close enough to be my inspiration. So I was off to search for grey pillows with a price point of up to $25 per pillow. Here's what I brought home from Target yesterday...

All of them look leaps and bounds better than the old pillows, but I'm not really sure what I like best. I tried looking at each one on their own, and then I even considered getting 2 different ones for a little mix and match action (this is actually a stretch for my usual pillow buying style).



Hmmm... decisions... decisions... I kinda like doing the two different ones, but my concern is that most are the same size so it looks kinda funny. I also found a couple pillows on Overstock that I like too... These come in both 18in and 22 in which solves my mix and match issue. But will they coordinate with any of the ones from Target?

Help!!! What do you think would look good?

3 comments:

  1. :0 Oh yay, A decor post!!
    Just so you know I have spent way too much time studying these pillows. :)
    Although I love the ikat and chevron designs ... a lot, from Overstock. I am really drawn to what I am calling smaller picture #5. The circles and the sunburst pillows together. I think they compliment and bring a little life to the space and even though they are more of a champagne than silver I think it works. I think they warm up the very cool colors here. I think you have done a great job. You could do a pairing of two on each sofa and it would look great. Well done Ms B
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the circles, the colors pop! On a side note...isn't that the one that Carter picket out? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, I trust your opinion very much. You also have champagne taste :) LOL. Of the 4 pillows those two were the more expensive ones. Haha- good thing I didn't look at pillows that are actually expensive. :)

    Haha, Jess! It it almost the pillow that Carter picked out - he showed us one that was more brown/tan, but same exact style. He's got a eye for style too!

    ReplyDelete