- Split level with the upper floor hanging out over the bottom floor
- Door is tucked into the corner between the garage and the stairway and isn't symmetrical
- Our siding is metal
- The colors are brown and cream
- Front door is oak with gold trim around the glass design
| Our house in the winter (after putting in the offer, before getting the keys) |
The only thing I feel that I can change is the door. I'd love to buy a new door. I grew up always having a screen door plus the entry door. I like how that allows for a cross breeze through the house and being able to keep the front door open with the screen door closed, makes me feel like our house is more open and welcoming. Matt, on the other hand, grew up with a single front door and I haven't been able to convince him that we should get a screen door.
So the next best thing to a new door, is a newly painted door. But what color? Right now, I'm leaning towards purple. It's not too bright to completely stand out but it would still be fun and unique. Or blue. My parents new house has a blue door and I love it (they hate it - no screen door). Yellow would look gross with our house colors. Red might look ok but since we're so close to ISU I don't want to go with red. Here are a few purple doors I've "pinned" recently.
And some blue ones...
So, now I just need to convince Matt that painting the door is a good idea. :)




Hmmm. This is a bit of a toughie. I am really feeling the purple. It is a rich purple and unexpected but still not offensive to anyone. - or at least not anyone with style. :) The only problem is from the street it may just fade in and still look brown.
ReplyDeleteGreen? I like this bold green but definitely not for everyone. http://www.penick.net/digging/?p=5952
Orange is cool in a retro sort of way like this
http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/24429433.aspx?MsdVisit=1
I know whatever you pick it will look great. Love the house. Liz tells me it is really nice. As for the screen door, we have one but wish we didn't. For us it is more of a draft buster. :-/
Pam
Ooohh. Just found this one too. I wish I could paint out our door like once a month. :)
ReplyDeleteI think this aqua blue could be really cool with your house too.
http://inbetweenlaundry.blogspot.com/2011/04/front-door-makeover.html
Pam
Oooh, thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't really considered green or orange but both those pics look good with our brown and creme. And that aqua blue is awesome!
ReplyDelete