Even though I know he's having fun and learning a lot, it's hard not to miss him. And it was hard not to be sad when we left him. I think my experience leaving him at the trainer was probably a preview to what it will be like someday taking our child to their first day of kindergarten - a mix of anticipation, excitement and fear. Gable knew something wasn't right and whined (cried) as we walked about from the outdoor kennel that would become his bunk for the month. As I listened to Gable cry as I walked away, it took a lot of control not to burst into tears, insist this was all a mistake and bring him back home with us. He's so young, he'll be scared (and cold), he'll think we're not coming back for him, he won't remember us when we finally do get to pick him up, he might not get along with the trainer or the other dogs... I was kinda a mess. You know when you're trying really hard not to cry, but you can't help the tears and your face gets all blotchy? That was totally me. I threw on my sunglasses and then stayed quiet while Matt finished talking with the trainer because I knew I wouldn't be able to trust my voice not to crack.
It's been weird at home without Gable but we've been trying to take advantage of the opportunity - vacation, projects around the house, not worrying about schedules or time away from the house, allowing ourselves time to relax together. But I am sooo excited to see our puppy soon!
| Miss you, goofy Gable! |
No comments:
Post a Comment