Besides having a baby, I thought I'd make a list of other things I'd like to accomplish in 2013. Kinda like a new year's resolution - but more fun :)
(In no particular order...)
1. Pick Berries
http://berrypatchfarm.com/ isn't too far from us and I've heard it's fun. But I won't be too picky (pun intended) about the location - rather it just needs to be a PYO (Pick Your Own) farm.
2. Visit Becky at Loras
I'm kinda a bad sister. The last time I visited Becky at school was back when I was still in grad school (fall 2010) so 2 years ago. Oops. The spring is her last semester so I really want to go visit her. Remember how fun college was! (I have no idea who the girl is on the right, because I don't know any of her friends, which is obviously terrible.)
3. Go (back) to Galena
Matt and I have been to Galena twice and it's a fun getaway, without being too far. Plus if we're already in DBQ visiting Becky, we could extend the trip to include Galena.
4. Run a 5K
I participated in a handful of 5K's this year which has been really fun and I want to do more next year. Some I will obviously just have to walk with the baby in a stroller, but in the fall I think it would be a great goal to RUN one. Drop the baby weight and have something to look forward too. Last year I recall the Ft. Dodge AppleFest run was in October but there are hundreds of races across central iowa all posted on the Fitness Sports website.
5. Visit the Bridges of Madison County
Ideally in the fall when the leaves are changing colors. It seems like everyone has been there but me. It's well past time to go. It may have to be without Matt if we want to do it in the fall (due to his work) but I don't want his work to be my excuse for never having been there.
6. Explore the Rose Garden
Rumor has it that the Rose Garden by the DSM Art Center is very picturesque -- especially in June. I've never been there but June sounds like a fantastic time to go, explore and take pictures! Julie and Mike took their engagement photos there this fall and their pics look great so I bet a visit in the fall would be fun too.
7. Get Professional Family Photos
I talk about doing this every year but the last professional photos we had taken were at our wedding. And unfortunately it was crazy sunny out and we're both a little squinty in our photos and it was way too muggy to take more than a few. Using Baby as an excuse I think this year will be my best shot at some outdoor family photos. And I'd love to add my parents and sisters on to the end of that photo session. Similarly the wedding photo is the last professional family photo that we have and it would be nice to have some that are more casual. And maybe we can take pics at the Rose Garden to knock out two of these in one shot.
8. Tackle some House Projects
We had lots of plans for updates around the house but none of them really happened this year. The big one that we talked about over and over again was new floors. Since the carpet is too dirty for a baby to be around, we know have a hard deadline to make changes to the floor. But changing out the floor leads to lots of other things -- new baseboards, painting the baseboards that aren't being replaced, painting or replacing doors since they no longer will match either, determining flooring for the bathroom (which might lead to a bigger bath remodel). Plus thanks to Baby we will be changing out things in the second bedroom, this means moving / getting rid of a lot of stuff. It's exciting but overwhelming. Creating Baby's room will be multiple posts I'm sure.
9. Visit Out-of-Town Friends
We kinda are horrible at this. Matt's job doesn't lend itself very well to getting this accomplished, and with the baby coming it'll probably make it more difficult, but I really really really want to travel to see a least some of our friends. I don't think we'll make all of the places on my list but at least a couple would be great.
- Winona
- Philadelphia
- Kansas City
- St. Louis
- Chicago
- NYC
- Clear Lake
- Iowa City / North Liberty
- Salt Lake City
- Eagle Grove / Fort Dodge
10. Go to 5 New Restaurants in DSM with Matt
I'm not the most adventurous diner in Des Moines but I check out a handful of new places each year. However, I tend to do this with my girlfriends. I realized that there are a lot of places I've been but Matt hasn't. So next year I think we should check out TOGETHER at least 5 places in Des Moines. They don't have to be new new, just new to us.
11. Buy a Car
There's definitely excitement in buying a new car but I also am very hesitant. We currently don't have any car loans but my car can't be worth much anymore so buying means probably having a car loan again. And while that isn't a big concern financially right now - I have no idea what life will be like financially with Baby (probably should start looking at that soon). Also, I bought my car before Matt and I got married winter 2008/2009 and somehow it kinda feels wierd to let it go. The next car won't really feel like mine but rather OUR car. (But I guess that's probably how Matt felt about trading in his truck last year for the Trailblazer.) Also, I feel like I haven't held on to this car long enough to be getting rid of it. But it's got over 125K miles on it and I'll never be able to transport BABY and Gable in it together. I've got my eye on a Kia Sorento but we'll see whatI we actually end up with.
12. Host a Party at our House
We use living in Huxley as an excuse for a lot of things and unfortunately one of those is related to having people over. While we're used to making the drive to DSM all the time for events, our friends are not. It's not that people have said - Huxley is too far for us to drive for a party, but I hear those off handed remarks about not wanting to drive way out to West Des Moines or all the way downtown so I know they think Huxley is too far. But screw them - I drive it pretty much every day and it's not torture, so if they think a party at our place isn't worth it, then I guess they're not really our friends after all.
13. Be more Cultural
I am quick to defend Des Moines and all the great things the town now has to offer. The metro really has changed so much since I was young. But I feel like I'm not taking advantage of all the culture that exists. There are so many things I would love to do (more). Examples: Attend an event at the Salisbury House, Go to the Symphony, Hear the Opera, Attend an event at the Art Museum, See a show at Hoyt Sherman, Learn to do something artsy - blow glass, throw pottery, cook. So this is just a challenge to say YES when the opportunities come up, and when we we're not seeing those opportunities to go out and seek them more. It's important to always be learning and growing.
Plus One More: Volunteer / Give Back More
We have so much to be thankful for and there are so many ways that we can give to others. We should be doing this so much more!
(In no particular order...)
1. Pick Berries
http://berrypatchfarm.com/ isn't too far from us and I've heard it's fun. But I won't be too picky (pun intended) about the location - rather it just needs to be a PYO (Pick Your Own) farm.
2. Visit Becky at Loras
I'm kinda a bad sister. The last time I visited Becky at school was back when I was still in grad school (fall 2010) so 2 years ago. Oops. The spring is her last semester so I really want to go visit her. Remember how fun college was! (I have no idea who the girl is on the right, because I don't know any of her friends, which is obviously terrible.)
Matt and I have been to Galena twice and it's a fun getaway, without being too far. Plus if we're already in DBQ visiting Becky, we could extend the trip to include Galena.
4. Run a 5K
I participated in a handful of 5K's this year which has been really fun and I want to do more next year. Some I will obviously just have to walk with the baby in a stroller, but in the fall I think it would be a great goal to RUN one. Drop the baby weight and have something to look forward too. Last year I recall the Ft. Dodge AppleFest run was in October but there are hundreds of races across central iowa all posted on the Fitness Sports website.
5. Visit the Bridges of Madison County
Ideally in the fall when the leaves are changing colors. It seems like everyone has been there but me. It's well past time to go. It may have to be without Matt if we want to do it in the fall (due to his work) but I don't want his work to be my excuse for never having been there.
6. Explore the Rose Garden
Rumor has it that the Rose Garden by the DSM Art Center is very picturesque -- especially in June. I've never been there but June sounds like a fantastic time to go, explore and take pictures! Julie and Mike took their engagement photos there this fall and their pics look great so I bet a visit in the fall would be fun too.
7. Get Professional Family Photos
I talk about doing this every year but the last professional photos we had taken were at our wedding. And unfortunately it was crazy sunny out and we're both a little squinty in our photos and it was way too muggy to take more than a few. Using Baby as an excuse I think this year will be my best shot at some outdoor family photos. And I'd love to add my parents and sisters on to the end of that photo session. Similarly the wedding photo is the last professional family photo that we have and it would be nice to have some that are more casual. And maybe we can take pics at the Rose Garden to knock out two of these in one shot.
8. Tackle some House Projects
We had lots of plans for updates around the house but none of them really happened this year. The big one that we talked about over and over again was new floors. Since the carpet is too dirty for a baby to be around, we know have a hard deadline to make changes to the floor. But changing out the floor leads to lots of other things -- new baseboards, painting the baseboards that aren't being replaced, painting or replacing doors since they no longer will match either, determining flooring for the bathroom (which might lead to a bigger bath remodel). Plus thanks to Baby we will be changing out things in the second bedroom, this means moving / getting rid of a lot of stuff. It's exciting but overwhelming. Creating Baby's room will be multiple posts I'm sure.
9. Visit Out-of-Town Friends
We kinda are horrible at this. Matt's job doesn't lend itself very well to getting this accomplished, and with the baby coming it'll probably make it more difficult, but I really really really want to travel to see a least some of our friends. I don't think we'll make all of the places on my list but at least a couple would be great.
- Winona
- Philadelphia
- Kansas City
- St. Louis
- Chicago
- NYC
- Clear Lake
- Iowa City / North Liberty
- Salt Lake City
- Eagle Grove / Fort Dodge
10. Go to 5 New Restaurants in DSM with Matt
I'm not the most adventurous diner in Des Moines but I check out a handful of new places each year. However, I tend to do this with my girlfriends. I realized that there are a lot of places I've been but Matt hasn't. So next year I think we should check out TOGETHER at least 5 places in Des Moines. They don't have to be new new, just new to us.
11. Buy a Car
There's definitely excitement in buying a new car but I also am very hesitant. We currently don't have any car loans but my car can't be worth much anymore so buying means probably having a car loan again. And while that isn't a big concern financially right now - I have no idea what life will be like financially with Baby (probably should start looking at that soon). Also, I bought my car before Matt and I got married winter 2008/2009 and somehow it kinda feels wierd to let it go. The next car won't really feel like mine but rather OUR car. (But I guess that's probably how Matt felt about trading in his truck last year for the Trailblazer.) Also, I feel like I haven't held on to this car long enough to be getting rid of it. But it's got over 125K miles on it and I'll never be able to transport BABY and Gable in it together. I've got my eye on a Kia Sorento but we'll see what
12. Host a Party at our House
We use living in Huxley as an excuse for a lot of things and unfortunately one of those is related to having people over. While we're used to making the drive to DSM all the time for events, our friends are not. It's not that people have said - Huxley is too far for us to drive for a party, but I hear those off handed remarks about not wanting to drive way out to West Des Moines or all the way downtown so I know they think Huxley is too far. But screw them - I drive it pretty much every day and it's not torture, so if they think a party at our place isn't worth it, then I guess they're not really our friends after all.
13. Be more Cultural
I am quick to defend Des Moines and all the great things the town now has to offer. The metro really has changed so much since I was young. But I feel like I'm not taking advantage of all the culture that exists. There are so many things I would love to do (more). Examples: Attend an event at the Salisbury House, Go to the Symphony, Hear the Opera, Attend an event at the Art Museum, See a show at Hoyt Sherman, Learn to do something artsy - blow glass, throw pottery, cook. So this is just a challenge to say YES when the opportunities come up, and when we we're not seeing those opportunities to go out and seek them more. It's important to always be learning and growing.
Plus One More: Volunteer / Give Back More
We have so much to be thankful for and there are so many ways that we can give to others. We should be doing this so much more!
Good list! You've inspired me to make one as well!
ReplyDeleteI laughed out loud at the "screw them" about driving to Huxley -- for the record, the Smiths are ALWAYS up for the drive! So we better be on the guest list :) And we may bring our air mattress! Love this list - you're inspiring me!
ReplyDelete