You know how some girls have been planning their wedding since they were little -- that most definitely was not me. But I have been thinking about babies for a long time. One of my favorite girl names was "discovered" back when I was in high school because it was the name of a baby at the YMCA nursery where I worked. While I'm not willing to share the names we're considering for our little bundle of joy - I will share some of the ideas I've been mulling over in regards to the nursery.
Gender Neutral
As I've previously mentioned, I always thought I would wait to find out (again something I probably decided in my mind way before getting pregnant) so throughout the years I've gravitated towards gender-neutral nursery themes. And when I say themes, I really mean concepts instead. I don't want a bunny theme or carnvial theme, etc. I want it to be more eclectic (mostly because I don't think I could commit to a theme and it will end up eclectic anyway). The soft, calm, quiet, neutral nurseries are so stunning but because I don't think I could keep that vibe going, colorful is more my thing. Thanks to Pinterest there is lots of colorful nursery eye candy. Here are a few that I pinned...
You are my Sunshine
Back in February 2011 I did this quick post on art that I want in my baby's nursery someday. While I love the bright colors above -- I do like the vintage / muted / restful vibe that this picture invokes so I'm going to do some compromising to make the nursery work. I've already got Jackie thinking about creating something similar to this for me. She just needs to see the rest of the nursery to know how to make it fit in.
Rocking Chair
My Grandpa refinished lots of wood objects and rocking chairs were one of the most popular. I'm not sure if it was on purpose or by accident, but they accumulated so many rocking chairs at my grandparent's house that each of us grandkids gets one (plus they have more to spare). Here is the rocking chair that I received and want to incorporate into the nursery. (It had a home in the downstairs den for awhile so ignore the background.) Just add a few pillows and I think it will be comfy enough (and if we decide later that we wish we had a glider in the nursery - no big deal. We can just buy one then and use this in other rooms where we won't be rocking in it for hours on end.
Gender Neutral
As I've previously mentioned, I always thought I would wait to find out (again something I probably decided in my mind way before getting pregnant) so throughout the years I've gravitated towards gender-neutral nursery themes. And when I say themes, I really mean concepts instead. I don't want a bunny theme or carnvial theme, etc. I want it to be more eclectic (mostly because I don't think I could commit to a theme and it will end up eclectic anyway). The soft, calm, quiet, neutral nurseries are so stunning but because I don't think I could keep that vibe going, colorful is more my thing. Thanks to Pinterest there is lots of colorful nursery eye candy. Here are a few that I pinned...
You are my Sunshine
Back in February 2011 I did this quick post on art that I want in my baby's nursery someday. While I love the bright colors above -- I do like the vintage / muted / restful vibe that this picture invokes so I'm going to do some compromising to make the nursery work. I've already got Jackie thinking about creating something similar to this for me. She just needs to see the rest of the nursery to know how to make it fit in.
Rocking Chair
My Grandpa refinished lots of wood objects and rocking chairs were one of the most popular. I'm not sure if it was on purpose or by accident, but they accumulated so many rocking chairs at my grandparent's house that each of us grandkids gets one (plus they have more to spare). Here is the rocking chair that I received and want to incorporate into the nursery. (It had a home in the downstairs den for awhile so ignore the background.) Just add a few pillows and I think it will be comfy enough (and if we decide later that we wish we had a glider in the nursery - no big deal. We can just buy one then and use this in other rooms where we won't be rocking in it for hours on end.
Giraffe
At the end of December Matt introduced this giraffe into the mix. In all honesty it has kind of thrown me for a loop. His grandpa made it for him and then it was in his sister's room and then got sent off to his cousins in Cali. Given the sentimental value, we're obviously including it and we can't really change it (like painting it white). When he showed it to me, I started wondering if maybe the nursery should have a giraffe or animal theme. I've seen some cute fabrics that have giraffes on them - and elephant ones too. But as I said I'm not really into it being too much of a theme. So I guess we'll just throw this in to the eclectic category and call it good.
So that's where my head has been at... there's just so many decisions to make and I keep going around and around so I haven't actually made any decisions yet. Hopefully soon...







I'm planning on doing a version of the blue, grey and orange nursery which I also pinned, for our little boy. So many cute things out there! I did a theme with Carter but want to be less baby-ish with this one so we can stick with things a little longer. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
ReplyDeleteI'm excited to see how yours turns out too!
Delete