I used my first vacation day since starting the new job in October on Jan 4th! (Even though I have PTO time to take, it's weird to take it now knowing that it's "stealing" time from baby later this year.)
We started off the morning with a doctor's appointment. Around 20 weeks they do the ultrasound where they check the baby to make sure they are developing properly and if you want, they can typically tell you the gender. Because of Christmas, I was actually at 21 weeks + 2 days for my appointment. After lots of discussion we decided not to find out the gender. It was a split decision - Matt wanted to know and isn't into surprises at all and I kept going back and forth about finding out. I've always thought I would wait, but the temptation to find out is pretty strong but I really want the surprise - for me and for telling our family and friends. I knew if we did find out we wouldn't be able to keep it a surprise from family and friends so that helped encourage me to convince Matt we should wait.
The ultrasound was really neat. It was a huge relief to finally see the little one growing inside of me. Everything they check for medically at this appointment was just as it should be. The baby had its hand up near its face so it was a little more difficult for the ultrasound tech to get the profile and face pics but we got a couple to bring home with us.I did find out that I have an anterior placenta which means the "thick" side of the placenta is near my belly button rather than my spine. It's not a big deal, but it does mean that we won't be able to feel the baby's kicks as well as we would have with a regular placenta. While it's kinda a bummer, finding out was mostly a relief. People told me - oh you'll know when you feel the baby. But I've been feeling movement since Christmas but wasn't sure if it really was Baby (which made me nervous). Doctor said that my questioning is typical - whew.
After the doctor's appointment we did some window shopping for floors (nothing purchased yet) and then drove over to Iowa City. We got to hang out with Stacy and Maya before heading to an Iowa Wrestling meet. I never thought I'd be someone to get pumped about wrestling, but weirdly it's actually a really fun sport to watch (maybe because Iowa is/has always been good makes it more fun). Plus trips to the Carver Hawkeye Arena mean ICE CREAM CONES. Such a delicious tradition. After we watched Iowa win the meet we went over to our new favorite IC hangout - BackPocket Brewery.
We stayed the night in IC (actually we got "upgraded" to a room with a jacuzzi tub because the tv in our original room didn't work) and before heading back to Huxley we stopped at Wendy and Kyle's new home. It was fun to compare pregnancy notes with Wendy and I was totally jealous of their custom built home. Love their floorplan - especially their master suite!
We started off the morning with a doctor's appointment. Around 20 weeks they do the ultrasound where they check the baby to make sure they are developing properly and if you want, they can typically tell you the gender. Because of Christmas, I was actually at 21 weeks + 2 days for my appointment. After lots of discussion we decided not to find out the gender. It was a split decision - Matt wanted to know and isn't into surprises at all and I kept going back and forth about finding out. I've always thought I would wait, but the temptation to find out is pretty strong but I really want the surprise - for me and for telling our family and friends. I knew if we did find out we wouldn't be able to keep it a surprise from family and friends so that helped encourage me to convince Matt we should wait.
The ultrasound was really neat. It was a huge relief to finally see the little one growing inside of me. Everything they check for medically at this appointment was just as it should be. The baby had its hand up near its face so it was a little more difficult for the ultrasound tech to get the profile and face pics but we got a couple to bring home with us.I did find out that I have an anterior placenta which means the "thick" side of the placenta is near my belly button rather than my spine. It's not a big deal, but it does mean that we won't be able to feel the baby's kicks as well as we would have with a regular placenta. While it's kinda a bummer, finding out was mostly a relief. People told me - oh you'll know when you feel the baby. But I've been feeling movement since Christmas but wasn't sure if it really was Baby (which made me nervous). Doctor said that my questioning is typical - whew.
After the doctor's appointment we did some window shopping for floors (nothing purchased yet) and then drove over to Iowa City. We got to hang out with Stacy and Maya before heading to an Iowa Wrestling meet. I never thought I'd be someone to get pumped about wrestling, but weirdly it's actually a really fun sport to watch (maybe because Iowa is/has always been good makes it more fun). Plus trips to the Carver Hawkeye Arena mean ICE CREAM CONES. Such a delicious tradition. After we watched Iowa win the meet we went over to our new favorite IC hangout - BackPocket Brewery.
We stayed the night in IC (actually we got "upgraded" to a room with a jacuzzi tub because the tv in our original room didn't work) and before heading back to Huxley we stopped at Wendy and Kyle's new home. It was fun to compare pregnancy notes with Wendy and I was totally jealous of their custom built home. Love their floorplan - especially their master suite!
![]() |
| Hello Maya! |
![]() |
| OT - Hawks get the win! |
![]() |
| Love BackPocket's stone-fired pizza! |
![]() |
| Checking out the fire pit at BP |
![]() |
| Seriously... smiling for the camera isn't so bad Matt. |







No comments:
Post a Comment