Today at work I organized our monthly lunch and learn. It was on Bicycle Safety and it was my job to setup the speaker. Since I have this weird aversion to talking to strangers on the phone, I used email to set everything up with a presenter from BikeWorld. I don’t know if it was a dream or I was just thinking about this last night before I went to sleep but this morning I woke up slightly freaked out. What if the presenter didn’t show up! I’m not really sure why I was so worried - he said he was coming and he even asked for directions and instructions for check in. But the thought kept nagging me so I ended up calling the shop this morning just to confirm. I guess it was more reassuring to hear him say he was coming over the phone than over email. But I shouldn’t have worried at all because the lunch and learn went off without a hitch! The speaker was entertaining and I learned a bunch. I definitely want to get my bike tuned up soon so I can get out and ride!
Some tidbits I learned...
· There are over 450 miles of bike trails in Central Iowa!
· If the tire become underinflated there's a good chance that you'll get a "pinch cut" in the tire. The inner tube of the tire gets caught between the ground and rim and can cut a hole in the tire. So it's important to check the tire pressure frequently.
· One employee at one bike store in Des Moines hears 3 to 5 stories each year of how wearing a helmet saved someone's life. These accidents are people just taking their bike around the block and a ball or something rolled onto the sidewalk. These stories aren't publicized like car-bike accidents are but are much more frequent and can cause many injuries including brain damage. So, always wear your helmet!
· Bike shorts are made to be worn without underwear. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment