The email I received on the morning of Friday Feb 18th...
In the past CCC has made some generous contributions to Ballet of Des Moines which have been much appreciated. The Ballet’s spring show is this Saturday Feb 19th at the Civic Center and they ended up having some extra unsold tickets. Due to this, and our connection to Ballet of Des Moines, they have offered us 8 tickets to the 6:30 PM production of Alice in Wonderland for free!
I ended up getting the last 2 tickets for the performance and luckily Liz was available to go to the show with me the next day! I have never been to a professional ballet and was very much looking forward to seeing the show. My expectations were a little off but maybe I should have read this quote from the Des Moines Register...
It's the company's first time at the Civic Center and they're making the most of it, with more than 60 student dancers and four guest soloists from across the country. The costumes and sets are from Chicago, and for the first time in the show's history, the music will be performed by a live orchestra.
There weren't as many crazy, cool, over-the-top ballet moves that I kinda had been hoping for but it was still a great show nonetheless. The costumes were really fantastic and the kids made the show fun. Plus having a girls night with Liz was super fabulous. The only thing I would have done differently would be that I would have tried to see the new Alice in Wonderland movie before going to the show. There were definitely some parts where Liz and I were lost because we didn't really know the plot. Luckily, all the little girls around us knew EXACTLY what was happening in the story and weren't quiet about telling it to their moms. :)
Liz told me she had a lot of fun and she, too, enjoyed watching all the little girls. She told me she couldn't remember the story very well and I thought,
ReplyDelete"Hmmmm, don't think I ever read her that one" : ) Too many stories too little time.
Fun post. Fun pic.
P