Wednesday, March 9, 2011

No Sweets


Today is Ash Wednesday. This year it's kinda weird since it's so late. But maybe that means by Easter this year it'll actually be warm enough to wear an Easter dress :)

As a good Catholic girl, I'll be giving up something for Lent. It has become somewhat of a tradition among my sisters, mom and I to give up sweets. I have not always done the greatest job at this. Take last year for example... I think I may have lasted 4 days and then I kinda gave up. I'm gonna blame it on school and Matt (but really it was a lack of effort and commitment.) This year I'm going to try much harder to stick to it and not make excuses. Luckily, Lent is only 40 days which is actually only 6 days each week. This technicality works out well for me because that means I am able to pick one day each week to eat a sweet. So for Matt's birthday, I'll be able to join him in eating a slice of his b-day cake!

I know it may sound like I'm cheating the system a bit... but the Catholic rules around Lent have evolved over time anyway. Plus sacrifice is only one part of Lent - it's a "special time of prayer, penance, sacrifice and good works in preparation of the celebration of Easter."  So remembering to pray each night and making it to church every Sunday will be included in my Lenten activities. But I think the hardest part will be no sweets!

1 comment:

  1. One year I gave up alcohol. Longest damn lent EVER. Never again. Sweets would be hard too. I would have to narrow it down and say something like no Good and Plentys. :)
    Pam

    ReplyDelete